I love food… I could eat it all day, really. I could. There’s not much food I wouldn’t eat. Vegetables aren’t my favorite, but I’m learning to make them in ways that I like them.
However, despite all this, people try to make eating so darn complicated. Truthfully- it shouldn’t be that hard…RIGHT!? (And yes I realize, the actual science & nutrition might be more complicated than I’m making it out to be, but to us average joes, hear me out!)
It helps to always look at food this way:
Food is the fuel we need to live our daily lives, workout hard, and smash our goals.
The simple rules I try to live by:
1. Try not to eat 100% junk all the time. Living by the 80/20 rule is a pretty good guideline.
2. Eat some fruit and vegetables every now and then. Incorporate them into each meal you have. Soon enough it will be habit.
3. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you aren’t. Over stuffing yourself does not feel good, try not to scarf your food down so you can pay attention to the signals your body is giving you.
4. Treat yo’self. (I miss parks & rec already). You work hard right? A treat isn’t going to hurt you. A piece of pizza will not derail your diet, and you will not gain 60 pounds in one night. What hurts you even more is depriving yourself of food you crave and then going overboard one night and feeling terrible.
That’s it. That’s all I strive to do when dealing with food. Lately I’ve been lifting some HEAVY weight and really power lifting, because of this, I’ve been super hungry! Therefore I’ve been eating more. Work out hard and eat more? I’m good with that. I’ve been trying to get in plenty of protein, healthy carbs…but there’s always room for a treat every now and then 🙂
This has to be my new favorite!Remember: Food is Fuel! #workouts #healthyeats Click To Tweet
- What is your perspective on food and training?